BPIE is looking for a Project Manager – Expert in Buildings’ Energy Performance
Wanted: Project Manager – expert in buildings’ energy performance. Deadline to apply is May 1st 2018.
The Buildings Performance Institute Europe (BPIE) is a not-for-profit think-tank with a focus on independent analysis and knowledge dissemination, supporting evidence-based policy making in the field of energy performance in buildings throughout Europe and beyond.
BPIE has a multifaceted approach to achieving efficiency improvements in buildings, and promotes policy support to further improve regulatory measures, financial incentives and market conditions that lead to the construction and retrofit of buildings with a high energy performance. BPIE provides open-source research, analysis, knowledge-sharing and advisory activities to the European Institutions, policy-makers in EU Member States and neighbouring countries, the scientific community as well as private sector stakeholders and civil society. In addition to its pan-European activities, BPIE is running programmes in selected member states.
The BPIE team is a multi-national and dynamic group of dedicated individuals, focusing on a results-oriented and analytical work culture in a trustful and open-minded atmosphere. BPIE is extending its team and is offering an opportunity to contribute to the further expansion and development of our work in an exciting environment in Brussels.
The successful candidate will be a team player with a passion to address climate change and a keen interest to improve and innovate policy making in the field of energy and buildings.
Reporting to the Head of Research, the roles and responsibilities as Project Manager are:
- Manage research projects in relation to energy performance in buildings from conceptualisation to completion.
- Undertake research in relation to buildings policies, with a focus on:
- Strategies and instruments to increase both renovation rate and depth on European, national and local level;
- Collection and assessment of building performance related data.
- Draft briefings and reports, present and discuss complex issues to different audiences (researchers, policy makers, advocacy organisations, etc.).
- Represent BPIE in meetings and conferences in Brussels and abroad.
- Engage and maintain good relationships with relevant stakeholders such as policy makers and experts from the European Institutions, research institutes and industry.
- Support fundraising activities and proposal preparation.
- Master’s degree in relevant discipline, such as architecture, engineering, economics, political or environmental sciences or equivalent with a focus on energy performance of buildings.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant professional experience and 3 years as project manager with projects related to building performance.
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English, other European languages will be an asset
- Technical background on implementation aspects of the EPBD or EED such as energy performance calculation methodologies, cost optimal calculations, EPC’s or renovation strategies.
- Familiarity with EU and member states energy and climate policies, combined with a good understanding of the role of buildings in achieving the EU energy transition and the Paris climate commitments.
- Proven experience in drafting reports and papers, presenting and debating technical or political topics related to the energy performance of buildings.
- Experience in technical building related aspects such as low carbon heating technologies, BIM, performance monitoring, designed vs real energy consumption, etc.
- Experience in policy analysis in the areas of energy efficiency, renewable energy in buildings, smart buildings and the wider energy system is an asset
- Experience in sustainable city policy
- Experience in liaising with stakeholders from private sector, national governments and EU institutions.
- Creative and innovative approaches to research and communicating outcomes.
- In-depth knowledge of building energy regulation in at least one EU member state.
- Good knowledge of at least one other European language.
- Strong communication skills.
PERSONAL INTERESTS & SKILLS
- Ability to work with tight deadlines, and manage contributions to several projects simultaneously.
- Willingness to work in a small, multicultural team and to be a pro-active and constructive team player.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel, primarily in Europe.
The candidate will work from the BPIE office in Brussels. BPIE offers a permanent full-time contract under the Belgian law. Attractive package includes benefits, aligned with experience and skills.
Expected starting date is 1 September 2018.
A CV and cover letter should be sent to Anne-Sophie Nollet at the following email address: email@example.com. Deadline to apply is 1 May, 2018. Please include the job title “Project Manager” and your name in the subject line of the email.